Do you dream of owning a private island?
Contact Elizabeth Arey at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-204-1238 mobile
AMAZING LOCATION: 44º 03.3' north, 68º
If so, welcome to this rare, exclusive 5-acre property just off the coast of Maine. Greer Island lies just 2/10th's of a mile off the eastern shore of Vinalhaven, summer resort for artists, writers, musicians, educators, film celebrities and industry moguls.
Nestled in a crescent of spruce and balsam with 360-degree ocean views. Greer Island is located off Arey's Neck, off the southeastern shore of Vinalhaven.
Awaiting new owner
- A 12' x 15' grandfathered rustic fish shack is surrounded by wild roses and sea grass facing the cove side.
- Building permit and float dock with ramp permit, renewed by Town in
2016 and 2017, must be reapplied for by new owner.
- Soil tests done in 2008 show 2 feet of rich topsoil.
- Gentle slopes and elevations to 28 feet.
- Land survey and report done by Joe LaBranche Mid Coast Surveys is available.
- Greer Island is in a Resource Protection Zone.
- Owned by one family for more than a century.
- MDIFW certification that island is not a Significant Wildlife Habitat available and does not meet criteria to be in Resource Protection Zone.
- Pads/foundation footings in place for 600 square foot cabin.
- Maine DEP approval for seasonal float dock and ramp.
- Excellent cell phone reception.
- Sweeping views to Saddleback Light, Isle au Haut, and Camden Hills.
- Neighbors on nearby Sheep Island with home and guest house.
- Less than 2 miles to Town, Island access is convenient from Carver's Harbor or from State Beach Road and Town Park.
Invest for the Future
- Medical Center, Historical Museum, Art Galleries, Gift Shops, Toy Shop, Gourmet Supermarket, US Post Office, Viking Lumber Company, Hardware Store, Ice Cream Parlor, Clothing Boutique
- Harborside Motel
- Two Churches
- Bed and Breakfasts, Restaurants
- Maine State Ferry Service (6 trips daily carrying cars, freight and passengers between Rockland and Vinalhaven)
- Air Strip (passenger service by Penobscot Air from Owl's Head, Rockland)
- Three Scenic Quarries for swimming
- Free wireless Internet Access at Library
- Canoeing, Kayaking and Sailing on Carver's Pond and The Basin
- Vinalhaven attracts residents who commute year-round from from Darien, Newport, La Jolla, Walnut Creek, San Francisco, New Orleans, LA, Savannah, Nashville, Chicago, Washington, DC, Charlottesville, Boston, Dallas, Austin, Scarsdale, Manhattan, Oklahoma and Ohio, to summer homes on Vinalhaven.
- Out-of-state residents own 80 per cent of Vinalhaven real estate.
- A two-minute boat-taxi from Vinalhaven takes you to nearby North Haven where there is a 9-hole golf course, community theater/arts center, tennis and sailing clubs, shops and restaurants.
Articles about owning your own private Maine island
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to invest in this unique property.
- Brokerages agree island values will continue to rise because of diminishing waterfront inventory.
- Coastal Maine properties have risen in value on average 20 per cent annually in the last decade.